Tuesday 26 August 2014

Non-Diegetic Music

I have decided to consider the non-diegetic music which will overlay my documentary early on in my production plans in order to secure a musician and be organised for this key element of my production. As I am presenting and discussing contemporary media, specifically including the modern music industry, I have decided that my non-diegetic music will reflect this so that my sound and content flow well together.

Therefore my music will be acoustic compositions of popular modern songs; focusing on some of the songs I will be criticising in my documentary to create a link to what I am discussing, such as Timber by Pitbull ft. Ke$ha. I will also include popular songs relevant to feminism such as Hard out here by Lily Allen for when I'm not criticising the media. I have chosen an acoustic cover style without lyrics so that the music is simple enough to not distract from my documentary and diegetic sound, or overpower my non-diegetic narrations. It also allows me to use a variety of different songs which flow together, rather than including a range of different music styles which may sound messy and unprofessional when used together or consecutively.

As I do not have the ability to play the guitar to compose my music, I have asked my talented musician best friend Maya Law to play these covers. She is confident with composing acoustic covers in a range of popular genres for her YouTube channel, therefore I feel that she would be most appropriate to compose for my documentary. She is also capable of linking popular music into acoustic 'mash up' songs so that they flow well together whilst sounding recognisable to the songs they are covering; which perfectly meets the requirements for my documentary style of music.

Here are some examples of her acoustic compositions from her YouTube channel where she has covered popular songs:









As I continue my research into the music industry, I will make an follow up post containing the list of songs I would like her to compose a cover of which I will send to her, and also any relevant conversations we have about my music for my documentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment