Thursday 25 December 2014

Lighting

It is conventional of documentaries to use simplistic and natural lighting, as they are often shot on the move  and improvised rather than overly planned in detail, and do not present complexly stylised lighting such a chiaroscuro, silhouettes or bright, coloured lights. Therefore for each location, the lighting I plan to use includes;
  • Outdoor narrations: Natural lighting shot in not overly bright/shadowed locations during daytime. According to my initial location research into daylight hours, I will need to shoot between 11:00-2:00.
  • The Forum, Marzano and library interviews/narration: Shot during the same hours as the previous location (I will therefore need to spread my shooting over different days to cover everything in time.) These locations all have losts of natural lighting due to the large glass windows, walls and ceilings, as well as the bright white lighting, and white walls which won't project colour (which I found from my location plan filming).
  • Starbucks informal interview: This location includes artificial studio lights at the bar seats, however due to the yellow filter formed by the wallpaper and shadows of this location, I will also require natural lighting by holding my interview near the large windows; balancing the colours of the lights.
The images for my newspaper advertisement and double-page magazine spread will be photographed within my locations in order to introuduce them and form strong links tommy documentary. Therefore my lighting for this photography will remain the same as my documentary production lighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment