Thursday 19 March 2015

Adding Statistics to my Documentary

After showing my documentary to my teacher for feedback, it was recommended that I added statistics about sexism within the media to make my documentary more informative and visually stimulating.

Therefore I referred back to my research of this and found a useful statistic about female production roles within the film and TV industries which is appropriate to overlay for Mr Mooney's interview which is quite visually bare, and discusses this exact topic, allowing me to enhance this discussion. Furthermore, this information from a reliable source increases his credibility as an expert interviewee. However as the statistic is outdated (2012), I revisited the website http://www.wftv.org.uk/resources/reports-and-statistics for an updated version.

"In 2013-14, women comprised 26% of all directors, writers, producers, executive producers, editors, and cinematographers. This is even with the figure from 2011-12 and up 2 percentage points from 24% in 2008-09." - Martha Laurzen, 'Independent Women'

"Fewer than 9% of the UK’s film directors are female." - Melody Bridges, 'Why Aren't There More Women Director's In The UK Film And TV Industry?', Women in Film and Television UK

I also found information which is also relevant to the UK, and relates to the next steps for equality of production roles which Mr Mooney discussed;
"Directors UK have published a report that sets out recommendations for production companies and broadcasters to increase the employment of women directors in UK television production.  The ambition is to work with production companies and broadcasters so that in 2017 women are directing 30% of all original programmes broadcast."

I will be using all of these statistics within the final section of my documentary, but make them shorter so that they are more concise to read. Furthermore, to emphasise Rowan's definitions of sexism and misogyny, allowing a firm knowledge of these key terms to understand my documentary for my audience, I'm adding their definitions in text. This also repairs the issue of jumping between clips where I had to split the shot between two takes, effecting the footage but not the audio.

Sexism: Prejudice, stereotyping, or discrimination, typically against women, on the basis of sex.
Misogyny: Dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against women.
- Oxford Dictionary

No comments:

Post a Comment