Thursday 19 March 2015

Copyright and Permissions

As I am using archive footage and outsourcing my music by hiring a musician/ composer (Maya Law), I have researched the copyright issues that I may face.

http://www.desktop-documentaries.com/do-i-need-permission-to-use-file-footage-and-other-video-material.html
From this website, I found that archive footage is only legal if it is royalty free; however I visited the royalty free archive footage website and was unable to find any of my videos. Another article by this website suggested that I would need to get permission for the footage from the producers, just as I had from my musician to make it legal. As the main producer of my archive footage is a multi-national media conglomerate, Universal Music Group, it is clear that they would not be available to discuss copyright for my A level. Therefore, my next step was to investigate UK Fair Use laws, as the article suggested.

http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p09_fair_use
Fair Use is the idea that if copyright laws are too restrictive, it may stifle free speech, news reporting, or result in disproportionate penalties for inconsequential or accidental inclusion. Therefore they allow certain content to be legally used for these reasons. From researching the conditions, I found that it would be legal for me to use my archive footage as it falls under the following;
  • the quoted material is justified by my narration, and no more than necessary is included
  • I will mention the source of my quoted material, along with the name of the author (artist and production studio)
  • it is used for the purpose of news reporting and education, as this is the purpose of the documentary genre
  • it falls under education use as my A level coursework
This has resolved my concerns with copyrighted footage, therefore from this point I will add the credits to my archive footage to ensure that it is legal.

Finally, for shooting within my public setting, I spoke to the assistant manager of the Forum library on her floor to describe my production, and receive spoken permission to shoot within this location.

No comments:

Post a Comment