Wednesday 4 March 2015

Audio Editing

To add my voiceover of Rowan introducing her interview with Emily over relevant location shots, first I extracted the audio of the voiceover shot, reduced background noise to improve the quality.

After applying the audio reduction to all of my clips, increasing for shots which were particularly lower in quality, I proceeded to add my non-diagetic music by downloading this from my Soundcloud uploads.

For organising the timings of where my music should be positioned, I referred to my shot and script presentation which included this planning. To allow my different music to flow smoothly during changes I applied ducking, which created a soft transition.
Adding my non-diagetic music over my footage

Smoothly fading songs into each other through ducking/ adjusting the volume parametres

Ducking my non-diegetic music to allow my voiceover/ diegetic audio to be emphasised and understood clearly

Further smooth fading between music

To match the tone and tempo of my music to the mood of my footage, I used;
  • A faster building volume and tempo section of 'Hard out Here' for my introduction, which therefore built tension and excitement towards the beginning of my main documentary content. I also timed this music to naturally change from the verse for the main part of my introduction (which I repeated to correspond to my introduction timings by trimming and pasting two complete bars of the music after one another) to the faster, more upbeat chorus for the final part of my introduction which informs the audience of the investigation, and my main title. This change in music not only creates excitement, but indicates the end of the introduction.
  • A slow, fading section of the same music used within my introduction for the end of my documentary extract to form an organised link between the two and indicate that this part is finished, and flow to the TV adverts through the relaxed tempo.
  • I have used trimmed and pasted repetitions of slow tempo sections of my music for most of my narration and interviews to prevent drawing focus away from it with distracting music.
  • I have indicated the changes between the sections of my main content through smoothly transitioning between the different music at these points.
  • Similarly to the building of tempo and volume of my introduction, I have applied this to the second to last shot of my documentary to create excitement for the conclusion of this part.

No comments:

Post a Comment