Saturday 21 March 2015

Final TV Listings Magazine

I used PicMonkey to edit my image and create my background, and then formatted this into the TV listings magazine double page spread using Microsoft Word, due to its precise measurement ruler to accurate follow the Radio Times house style, and more professional text editing tools than PicMonkey.
The basic, limited text editing and formatting options with using PicMonkey.

Editing the width and height of my image in cm's using Word to the exact measurements of a Radio Times double page spread (which I previously measured from my copy).

Using the Tabloid Oversize option for my page layout to accurately follow the Radio Time's format and avoid my double page being cropped when printed.

Adding the divided halves of my article using the justified text layout and Times New Roman 9pt following the conventional layout of the Radio Times that I analysed. Following these conventions, I also added the oversized first letter using the closest font to the Radio Times' from testing a range, and used the shift key to align my text neatly around this following another convention.

I felt that my article was looking too fragmented due to my short paragraphs alongside the justified text layout, therefore I grouped them together to make them more organised and conventional to the Radio Times.


Distributing my text evenly so that the halves of my article lined up neatly and conventionally to the Radio Times. I also used the capitalised, larger, bold, Arial font for my writer's name, following the conventions of Radio Times to separate this from the article, and the page numbers in the two bottom corners in line with the article and in the same position as the Radio Times'. I used the same page number as Channel 4's documentary article within this magazine, as it roughly demonstrates where double page spreads about documentaries by my exhibitor are discussed.

I added the conventional fine, black line dividing the page numbers and the article, and cropped this at my image to look professional and aesthetically pleasing.


Adding my title similarly to the Jon Snow Radio Times article (which is the main inspiration for my double page spread), through using a quotation from within the article, the closest font, and larger, bolded key words to attract my readers and present the main focus of my documentary. I also used the shift key to stylistically layout my lines similarly to that article, and to create a professional, interesting and artistic look which would relate to my young audience.

Adding my article subtitle and my quotation on the right page using red font to create a youthful house style which is aesthetically pleasing due to Rowan's red hair. Placing my quotation from Rowan over her image also links the two together without stating her name, and immediately introduces her views before reading the less eye-catching article.

Adding the conventional Radio Times programming information and dividing line, using the appropriate fonts, sizes and styles for each separated piece of information, which I had to test.


Looking at the article from a distance, I decided that the position of my quotation had too much negative space below, and blended to similarly to my title, which uses the same font. Therefore I changed its colour to white, allowing me to layer this over Rowan's hair for a more centred layout. This also makes the quotation a focus point of the right page after Rowan's face, which engages my readers immediately. Whilst I was trying to draw in my younger audience with the bright, youthful colours, I feel that this looks more sophisticated and professional, and the article itself which includes a focus on young people, as well as my young, colourful model will do this effectively.

Adding my catchy image caption, which is conventional to the Radio Times, using the same font styles.

The final stage of editing for my TV listings magazine double page spread was adding my photography credits in the same position, capitalised font and single description of the photographer's name as the Radio Times.

Overall, I am happy with the professionalism, sophistication and artistic style of this ancillary product, achieved by my conventional, stylistic format to the Radio Times, as well as my youthful and bold photography. The article effectively creates an enigma for my documentary by introducing its theme, relevance to contemporary society and modern culture, features such as interviews and deconstructions, and purpose to investigate sexism within the media, which are conventional aspects to present and advertise programmes within the Radio Times. Furthermore, I feel that I have engaged my audience and readers effectively through my interview with Rowan and descriptions of her as an innovative young presenter; not only creating a connection between the reader and my presenter through this focus, but also engaging young people and justifying my young model, which some older readers may be surprised to see alongside the older adults within this TV listings magazine. Finally, I have included detailed information of when my documentary is scheduled (which is the main purpose of this ancillary product), and accurately met the conventions for my genre and exhibitor.

As my ancillary product was formatted especially to be printed, and because I cannot upload this as a Word document on SlideShare etc. due to my unsupported layout, I will submit this as a printed hard copy. However, below I have added a screenshot of the final version.

The main inspiration for this ancillary product, as analysed in my screenshots:
Article on Jon Snow's Channel 4 documentary within the Radio Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment