Tuesday 10 March 2015

Readability of my Products

To test the readability levels of my documentary narration and TV listings magazine article, to determine whether they are appropriate to the understanding of my 17-35 year old, educated and sophisticated target audience, and formal exhibitors, I used a Smog test.
Analysing the readability of a representative extract from my documentary narration.

Readability of half of my TV listings magazine article.

Outcomes:
Documentary -
The SMOG index: 21.9
Total words: 266
Total number of polysyllabic words: 64
Total number of sentences: 11

TV listings magazine -
The SMOG index: 22.9
Total words: 234
Total number of polysyllabic words: 60
Total number of sentences: 9

From this test, this has shown me that my narration and article (with similar Smog test scores) are appropriate for my educated, formal and sophisticated target audience, as well as the formal readers of the Radio Times, and education seeking target audiences of the documentary genre. This is because they are above scores of 17; which is The Guardian and The Telegraph's Smog test scores, who's target readers are similarly formal and educated.
Educated, formal/ upper-class/ high socio-economic, ABC1, and older reader profile for The Guardian - forming a Smog indication of my own target audience.

From the Readability Test article, I also found that darker colours are more difficult to read from, as well as white pages with black font for readers with dyslexia; which is why my TV listings magazine background is light grey with a simple, clear font.

No comments:

Post a Comment