Tuesday 3 March 2015

Ancillary Product Photography

Following my plan for my photography, I styled and photographed my documentary presenter, Rowan, for my TV listings magazine double page spread photography in the style of the Radio Times (my exhibitor). To prepare this shoot, I brought my make-up kit and borrowed a still camera from my media department to ensure that my image is high quality, as it will fill most of an A3 page being a Radio Times style, double page spread background. As I photographed in my trademark Forum library location to present the setting of the majority of my documentary, I used the same clear natural lighting for this shoot.

Below, I have evaluated my images in order to determine which is most appropriate for my double page spread.
  • Poor lighting with an unnatural orange tint whilst I was figuring out the flash on the camera.
  • Rowan's expression isn't very bold or interesting - too relaxed.
  • The headphone is too far away from her head, preventing an aesthetically pleasing focal point.
  • The headphones wire is looped.

  • The shadow of the background draws focus to Rowan, creating an aesthetically pleasing balance.
  • Rowan's facial expression is more interesting and dynamic than the previous image, with her wider eyes and slight smile.
  • Although the smile makes the photo less serious, it presents the youthful style of my documentary.
  • Same issue with the looped headphone, although this could be cropped.
  • Her hand it raised higher to draw a focal point.

  • Effective balance of shadows similar to previous image - however I don't want to focus on this area too much as I can edit this using Photoshop or Picmonkey.
  • Her expression seems unnatural and draws attention away from the seriousness of the issue, due to her wider smile and lower 'concernedly raised' eyebrow.

  • This is one of my two favourite expressions of Rowan's, as it captures the critical, serious, but playfully youthful look I am creating to represent the style of my product, and links to the photography within the Radio Times due to the similar expressions which I've deconstructed.
  • The lighting is very clear and high quality, with an effective shadow balance for the background, however the exposure of her face may be too high; which I will need to lower during editing.
  • The pink within the background relates to my topic of feminism, which presents my article content and the theme of my documentary.
  • The colour balance is warm, bright and youthful due to the red, pink and orange which markets to my younger demographic and presents an eye-catching look, whilst her black costume aligns with the sophisticated, muted and monochromatic style of the Radio Times' photography.
  • The tones of grey along the outside of the image can be selected to form my planned, fading left, gradient, soft grey to blurred bookshelf background.

  • The plug socket on the wall can be edited out easily.
  • The clean, clear background also naturally forms this soft grey gradient, fade, which is conventional to the style of the Radio Times.
  • The lighting is very clear and balanced, although her red hair is washed out by the white background - however I can edit this to enhance the boldness of this colour.
  • The colour scheme is muted, sophisticated and monochromatic which is conventional to the Radio Times, and also features the bold pop of red from Rowan's hair to add an expressive, youthful and interesting style.
  • Her expression is quite bold and interesting, and is my second favourite expression overall due to the captured youthful and concerned style, despite her lower eyebrow.
  • Her position to the side and the high slightly high angle forms a flattering and professional look.
  • The headphone wire contrasts well with her black costume, follows the contours of her pose, and blends with the white background.

  • Her position facing directly forward is less interesting and stylistic than my other images, or the photography in the Radio Times.
  • Her expression is less interesting than some other images due to the lower eyebrow which prevents my concerned and critical envisioned look.

Overall, I've decided that these two photos are the most professional looking and appropriate for my intended style, audience and exhibitor; therefore I will apply them to my draft to test which is most effective:

No comments:

Post a Comment